Print this page.
Home / Browse / Henderson State University (HSU)
Henderson State University (HSU) is a public, co-educational university located in Arkadelphia (Clark County). HSU is Arkansas’s only public liberal-arts school and is the second-oldest publicly funded university in Arkansas, after the University of Arkansas (UA) in Fayetteville (Washington County).
HSU was founded in 1890 as Arkadelphia Methodist College. The name was changed in 1904 to Henderson College to honor Charles Christopher Henderson and to Henderson-Brown College to honor Walter William Brown in 1911.
After thirty-nine years of Methodist control of the institution, the state convention decided to close the institution and combine it with Hendrix College in Conway (Faulkner County). The student body of Henderson-Brown strongly opposed the idea, as did most of the administration and local citizens. After negotiations with state lawmakers, it was decided to turn control of Henderson-Brown over to the state rather than close its doors. Thus, in 1929, the institution in Arkadelphia became known as Henderson State Teachers College. The name of Hendrix was changed to Hendrix-Henderson College and remained so for about two years before once again becoming Hendrix College. According to the state convention, Henderson-Brown no longer existed in Arkadelphia.
After becoming a public institution, Henderson State Teachers College began to expand at a rate never envisioned while it was a Methodist college. Six major buildings were built during the Great Depression alone. Accreditation was attained in 1934, and after World War II, enrollment more than doubled to 500 (in 1929, only 153 students attended the college). Graduate classes were first offered in 1951 through UA, and in 1955, Henderson’s first graduate degree program began. To reflect the change in the focus of the institution, the name was changed to Henderson State College in 1967 and to Henderson State University in 1975.
Henderson has an excellent academic record. It has produced several Rhodes, Fulbright, and Rotary International scholars. It serves as Arkansas’s only member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges. Glendell Jones was hired in 2012 as president, becoming the first African American to serve as the leader of a non-historically-black university in the state.
Henderson’s athletic teams are known as the Reddies and Lady Reddies. Henderson is classified as a National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II school. Henderson along, with the other Arkansas members of the Gulf South Conference, left that organization in 2011 to form a new athletic conference with several schools from Oklahoma. Called the Great American Conference, the conference began play in the 2011–12 school year.
Currently, degree programs are offered through the Matt Locke Ellis College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business, the School of Education, and the Graduate School. Henderson has its own degree program in nursing, and it also provides the academic program for the Baptist School of Nursing. The university offers the state’s only four-year bachelor of science degree in aviation. The enrollment in the fall of 2013 was 3,583.
For additional information:Bledsoe, Bennie Gene. Henderson State University: Education since 1890. 2 vols. Houston, TX: D. Armstrong Co., 1986.
Hall, John G. Henderson State College: The Methodist Years. Arkadelphia, AR: Henderson State College Alumni Association, 1974.
Henderson State University. http://www.hsu.edu (accessed July 21, 2014).
David SesserNevada County Depot and Museum
Last Updated 7/22/2014
About this Entry: Contact the Encyclopedia / Submit a Comment / Submit a Narrative