Print this page.
Home / Browse / Eureka Springs Historical Museum
The Eureka Springs Historical Museum is located in the 1889 Calif Building. Its mission is to collect, preserve, and exhibit the documents, photographs, and artifacts pertaining to the history of Eureka Springs (Carroll County) and the surrounding area.
In 1971, the Ozark Folk Festival Board of Directors purchased the historic Calif Building for the purpose of establishing a museum of local history. A museum advisory board accepted the task to collect, preserve, and exhibit artifacts in the building. The museum opened to the public in October 1971. In 1980, the Eureka Springs Historical Museum, Inc., an association whose membership is open to all interested persons, assumed ownership of the museum property and oversight of its operation. The wood and glass storefront and two-story ornamental wood porches were subsequently replaced as the building was restored to its original appearance. Aside from photographs and exhibits devoted to historical Eureka Springs, the museum includes a replica early twentieth-century parlor that can be reserved for events. The upstairs of the museum is an art gallery devoted to the various artists who have worked in Eureka Springs, including Louis and Elsie Freund.
The museum’s income is derived from admissions, donations, fundraisers, research fees, and gift shop sales, as well as memberships. It is open from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Sunday.
For additional information:Eureka Springs Historical Museum. http://www.eurekaspringshistoricalmuseum.org/ (accessed July 7, 2014).
Powell, Brittany. “Museum Watch: Lace Curtains in a Hardscrabble Hill Town.” Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, June 15, 2010, p. E1.
Carol GreerEureka Springs Historical Museum
Last Updated 7/7/2014
About this Entry: Contact the Encyclopedia / Submit a Comment / Submit a Narrative