Print Page     Email Page     Increase Font SizeDecrease Font SizeReset Font Size
Skip Navigation Links

Home / Browse / Marvell (Phillips County)

Marvell (Phillips County)

 

Latitude and Longitude:

34°33'20"N 090°54'46"W

Elevation:

210 feet

Area:

1.422 square miles (2010 Census)

Population:

1,186 (2010 Census)

Incorporation Date:

October 19, 1876

Historical Population as per the U.S. Census:

1810

1820

1830

1840

1850

1860

1870

1880

1890

1900

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

391

1910

1920

1930

1940

1950

1960

1970

1980

1990

2000

556

781

624

830

1,121

1,690

1,980

1,724

1,545

1,395

2010

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1,186

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The city of Marvell began as a railroad town in the 1870s. Best known as the hometown of musician Levon Helm, Marvell is one of the largest communities in Phillips County.

Rich soil deposited by Mississippi River floods over the years made Phillips County attractive to cotton farmers, who created large plantations throughout the area in the early nineteenth century. In 1835, John Sanford acquired ownership of the land where Marvell would be built. Slaves worked the plantations until the Civil War, and many of the former slaves remained as tenant farmers after the war. Several railroads had been planned before the war, but their construction did not take place until Reconstruction. The Arkansas Central Railroad, planned to link Helena (Phillips County) and Little Rock (Pulaski County), was incorporated in 1871 and began construction in 1872. By this time, Marvell M. Carruth owned the land that had once belonged to Sanford. Carruth sold fifty lots of land to the Arkansas Central, and the depot built on that land was named Marvell in Carruth’s honor.

The Arkansas Central faced financial problems before the end of the decade and was reorganized in 1877 as the Arkansas Midland Railroad. (The name of the Arkansas Central would later be used by another railroad in western Arkansas.) In 1901, the Arkansas Midland was acquired by Jay Gould, and it was consolidated into the Missouri Pacific Railroad in 1917. The line still exists as of 2014 as part of the Union Pacific system.

A post office was established at Marvell in 1873, and the city was incorporated in 1876. As of 1890, Marvell had five general stores; four groceries; a furniture store; an undertaker; a foundry and machine shop; two blacksmith shops; a school; a livery stable; a hotel; a cotton gin; a grist mill; a church shared by Presbyterian, Baptist, and Christian congregations; a black Baptist church; and a black Friends (Quaker) church. About a third of the population was African American.

By 1904, the city also had a stave mill, a brick store, a bank, two physicians, and a factory that manufactured hickory spokes. The public school was led by Ferd Humphries, who employed several teachers, including his wife. A public library was established in 1922, beginning with donations from the McDonald family. The Methodist church offered space to the library until a building was completed on a corner lot of the public school grounds. In 1950, the Marvell library became a branch of the Phillips County Library, and it contained approximately 12,000 books by 1960.

Marvell’s school district was desegregated in 1965. The next year, a private academy called Marvell Academy was established outside the city limits; it was created in response to the desegregation of public schools and remains predominately white. The public school district was later consolidated with the Elaine (Phillips County) school district, creating the Marvell-Elaine School District, which includes an elementary school and a high school in Marvell.

A city park and a bicycle trail were built in Marvell in the 1980s. In 1997, a medical clinic opened, funded by private donations. In 2010, Marvell had sixteen churches, fourteen stores, a fish market, a cypress mill, three banks, four restaurants (including a tamale stand), and a genealogy society that served three counties. Until it closed in 2010, Shadden’s Bar-B-Q was one of the best-known businesses in Marvell. Housed in a general store that was more than 100 years old, it served as both a restaurant and a community meeting center. 

Marvell has two properties on the National Register of Historic Places: the Mayo House, built around 1918, and the Baptist church, built in 1925. Musician Levon Helm was born outside Elaine in 1940 and grew up in Marvell. Lily Peter—the third poet laureate of Arkansas—was born on a farm near Marvell and lived all her life in the area.

For additional information:
Hollowell, Louise B. “The Marvell Public Library and How It Grew.” Phillips County Historical Quarterly 19 (December 1980): 58–63.

“Marvell, the Best Town of its Size in Arkansas.” Phillips County Historical Quarterly 2 (June 1964): 26–29. (Reprinted from the Helena World, May 11, 1904.)

Steven Teske
Butler Center for Arkansas Studies

Last Updated 12/21/2016

About this Entry: Contact the Encyclopedia / Submit a Comment / Submit a Narrative


©2017 The Central Arkansas Library System - All rights reserved - Web Services by Aristotle Web Design.