Print this page      Close
A major concern of General Frederick Steele, once his army had occupied Little Rock (Pulaski County) in 1863, was the supplying of his army deep in enemy territory. Such supplies were normally shipped by steamers on the Mississippi River and into Arkansas by way of many smaller waterways. Due to the unreliability of the Arkansas River, Steele established a supply depot at DeValls Bluff (Prairie County) on the White River, approximately sixty miles to the east. Supplies were offloaded, stored in government storehouses (shown here), and later transported by wagon to Steeleā€™s army. Supplies were also sent to Little Rock via the Memphis and Little Rock Railroad.
Courtesy of the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies, Central Arkansas Library System


DeValls Bluff (Prairie County)
Steele, Frederick
 
©2017 The Central Arkansas Library System - All rights reserved